Tee of the Month Club: January’s Elliot Sweater.

Time to play “First Quarter Catch-Up” for my Tee of the Month Club! Here’s my Elliot Sweater from Helen’s Closet.

I cut this out in December and sewed it in January. I think it’s a 16/18 graded to a 20/22 at the hips, which is larger than it should be but was probably the right size when I printed the pattern. I don’t mind that’s it’s a little oversized, especially in this slinky, plush sweater knit that I got from Girl Charlee a long time ago. This fabric was slippery and stretchy and kind of a pain to sew with, though it’s soft and warm, and I love the sweater now that it’s finished.

I omitted the high-low hem and the side vents on this version and sewed the larger cowl neck. I did a (probably unnecessary) 1.5″ full bust adjustment and a petite adjustment through the upper chest and raglan sleeves. This new-to-me pattern adjustment is going to completely change my relationship with raglan tops! (Wait until you see March’s tee.) I shortened the sleeves, too, but forgot to write down how much. I’m a little, ah, height-challenged (a bit over 5’2″ but not quite 5’3″*), and since most indie patterns are designed for people 5’6″ or taller, I spend a lot of time shortening things. Especially sleeves. (Thanks a lot, T-Rex arms!)

This pattern is beautifully drafted (as every pattern I’ve ever used from Helen’s Closet has been), and I will likely make a regular t-shirt version one of these days. It was a fun sew despite the difficult fabric, and I bet it’s even better in a standard jersey.

Approximate cost: $11.20 for the pattern and $22.17 for the fabric, both purchased on sale. (Thread and notions were all on hand and treated as sunk costs.)

Time spent: Approximately 5 hours for all tasks, including taping the pattern together and hand-hemming.

Rating: 5 stars

(*Every fraction of an inch counts when you’re this short, trust me.)