Tee of the Month Club: August’s Staple Dress.

I’d been sitting on this glorious laser kitten fabric for a long time when I thought I’d finally found the right project for it. Alas, I had forgotten that it was a cotton jersey with no added Spandex — so it didn’t have enough stretch for the garment I’d chosen. Rather than put the fabric away for another few years, I decided to break some rules and go off-roading.

That’s why August’s tee of the month selection isn’t actually a t-shirt or even a sewing pattern meant for knits, but the Staple Dress from April Rhodes. It’s super old and probably out of print at this point. Believe it or not, this still fits within the parameters of my monthly project. As I said in the very beginning, garments “only need to be made of knit fabric and cover my torso” to qualify.

I made a couple of Staple dresses from stable jersey six or seven years ago, so I knew this would work. I didn’t make any changes to the pattern, aside from grading from a size L at the bust to a size XL at the hip. (I would have done an FBA if I had been making the dress from a woven, but I didn’t bother since I was using a knit.) I made the straight hem version and omitted the elastic at the waistline. I also simply folded the neckline over and stitched it down rather than using binding, which isn’t usually a good idea, but this knit is so sturdy that it was fine.

It fits nicely, and the only reason you’re getting a flat picture is that I wear it as a nightgown. I draw the line at just-rolled-out-of-bed photos! Trust me when I say that I love my laser kitten nightie, and I have zero complaints.

There’s not much point in saying whether or not I recommend the pattern.  It doesn’t seem to be available anymore, but I wouldn’t recommend it, anyway. It’s a really basic design — nothing about it really stands out — and its size range is far from inclusive. That will always be a deal-breaker for me, regardless of what size my own body is.

Approximate cost: I paid $15 for this pattern in 2014 and have made it at least three times, so I consider that a sunk cost. The fabric was $13.50 from Girl Charlee a good while ago (though it’s nowhere near as old as the pattern). All thread was on hand.

Time spent: This project took me 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Rating: Mixed! I give the pattern 3 out of 5 stars, but the nightgown itself is a solid 5 out of 5.